About this project
THE STORY BEHIND NEW PORT RICHEY'S HACIENDA HOTEL
The Hacienda Hotel, on Main Street in the City of New Port Richey, Florida, is a Spanish-style luxury hotel completed in 1927. Silent screen stars Thomas Meighan and Gloria Swanson frequented the hotel and had hopes of drawing more celebrities to the area. The intention was to create the "Hollywood of the East" in New Port Richey. That they did!
Silent film stars flocked to New Port Richey in the 1920's. In fact, several silent films were produced in the rural area, and several actors built mansions along the nearby Pithlachascotee River. Screen star Ed Wynn served as master of ceremonies at the hotel's grand opening, attended by other Hollywood luminaries such as Lupe Valez, Ann Hardking Harding, Thomas Meighan and Gloria Swanson.
On October 24, 1996, the Hacienda Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The City of New Port Richey bought the hotel at the height of the real estate boom and has struggled to find a willing buyer to restore it. Now the community has turned out in droves to help support its restoration.
Over 400 volunteers recently gathered for two community clean-up days at the Hacienda Hotel. Residents, City staff and members of the City Council all pitched in to clean-up, scrape paint, dig irrigation lines, remove broken glass, and paint the walls and fences of this national historic landmark.
Now it is time for more work to be done to assess the structural and environmental issues that need to be corrected so that the City may take the next steps to restore the Hacienda Hotel into the national treasure it once was. The City is reaching out to its local and regional communities and to anyone who has a love of history and Hollywood across the nation, to donate to this community project!
WORK THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE NOW:
Obtain a structural analysis of the building, by a professional engineer, with specific focus on the areas identified by staff in the February 5, 2013 report. Special attention should be taken to make sure any repairs meet the requirements of the National Register of Historic Places.
- East and west walls of main lobby
- Southwest corner of eastern corridor
- Repair all areas of water penetration
- Replacement of window and door frames
- ADA compliance
- Repair all exit doors
- Termite inspection and treatment
- Check the electrical system and verify safety and code compliance
- Repair fire alarm system for compliance
- Check and repair all mechanical systems including air conditioning and duct work
- Check and repair all plumbing for code compliance
- Determine existence of any underground storage tanks near western edge of property
- Conduct asbestos survey for removal
- Test air quality
- Conduct mold inspection
- Conduct lead-based paint survey for removal
MORE VIDEOS AND PHOTOS OF THE HACIENDA HOTEL:
- Great Video! Why do they call it the "Hollywood of the East" (Channel 10 News): http://www.wtsp.com/callitthat/article/293734/260/Why-do-they-call-it-that-Tampa-Bays-Hollywood-of-the-East
- Historical photos of the Hacienda Hotel (West Pasco Historical Society): http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghs1922/sets/72157628147755613/
- Making History in New Port Richey at the Hacienda Hotel Community Clean-Up Day (PascoCounty.TV): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnG980Z5Lss
- 1929 Silent Film featuring Hacienda Hotel (West Pasco Historical Society): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUc4RDKM8gk
- The History of New Port Richey and Hollywood (West Pasco Historical Society): http://www.fivay.org/npr_hollywood.html
- City asks volunteers to help Hacienda (ABC Action News): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_PeGwmXgfA
- Hacienda hotel gets more TLC (Suncoast News): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOf-LfKY_E
- Hacienda Hotel -- A new day dawns (Suncoast News): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSUykTeqmAU
- Notable figures from the 1920's discover the City of New Port Richey and make it their home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3bOg4tWQ4
CITY OF NEW PORT RICHEY AND COMMUNITY LINKS:
- Website: citynpr.org
- Facebook: citynpr.org/facebook
- Twitter: citynpr.org/twitter
- Citizens for Improvement of Hacienda Hotel New Port Richey
How can I be certain that the municipality will use my money for a particular project?
We've got your back! Before any project is posted to Citizinvestor, our partners agree that the money you donate to a specific project will only be used for that project.
Will my credit card be charged if a project doesn't meet 100% of its funding goal?
No! We require that a project be funded in full before any money changes hands. If a project is only 99% pledged once the deadline hits, nobody's credit card gets charged, including yours.
When will my credit card be charged?
Your credit card will be charged the same day in which a project reaches 100% of its funding goal.
Is the money I donate to projects on Citizinvestor tax deductible?
Yes! Under section 170 of the United States. Internal Revenue Code, it states that contributions made to political subdivisions for exclusively public purposes are categorized as charitable contributions. However, with all tax matters, we recommend that you consult a CPA.
Please register or login to ask a question.